News

One-quarter of vertebrates die because of humans, finds study

One-quarter of vertebrates die because of humans, finds study

Washington D.C. [USA], Feb 11 (ANI): Humans cause more than 25 per cent of deaths among an array of species all over the globe.

The study, published in the journal Global Ecology and Biogeography, found that 28 per cent of the animals' deaths were directly caused by humans.

Belant conducted the study with Jacob E. Hill, another ESF faculty member, and Travis L. DeVault of the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The study analysed deaths of known cause among 1,20,657 individual animals from 305 vertebrate species and found 28 per cent of deaths were directly caused by humans; the other 72 per cent died from natural sources.

The scientists concluded that humans are a major contributor to terrestrial vertebrate mortality, potentially impacting evolutionary processes and ecosystem functioning.

Please Help Us Keep this Site Running

Thank you for the donation

 
 
 
Powered by Stripe
Subscribe to our Newsletter

Latest News, Photos & Videos